Tuesday, September 29, 2009

summer whites...

I love doing laundry. I love clean, fresh clothes/towels/sheets and I LOVE discovering new laundry secrets (and then sharing them with everyone I know). So here's my latest laundry discovery: 

Pile your white clothes into a sink and add enough hot water so the clothes are covered. Then add 1 cup liquid Clorox 2, 1 cup liquid Biz Bleach (also a color-safe bleach found in the laundry aisle at the grocer), and 1 cup liquid cascade. You can increase or decrease this amount but make sure that you're using equal amounts of each. I just kind of mix the detergents around by hand in the water and once the water seems nice and mixed I let the clothes sit overnight. Come morning I squeeze out the water from my clothes, pop them in the washing machine and wash and dry as you normally would.

Your summer whites will thank you! And PS this also works to help lift those pesky yellow "age" spots that suddenly appear in white clothes when they've been packed away all winter.

***Disclaimer: I was told that you could use this formula on colors as well. HOWEVER the first time I soaked clothes like this I soaked a blue onesie and when I'd washed it I noticed the neckline had bleach spots. I'm not sure if it was from this or a previous laundry *accident* but I haven't used it on colors since.

9 comments:

Karlee said...

Do you have any remedies for grease stains? Apparently that is taking OVER Boston clothes lately!!!!

Lindsay said...

Oh, can't wait to try this! I LOVE doing laundry too! Aren't we sick!?! :)

Lisa said...

ahhh the joys of us moms.. I fell a rush of pride when I can get stain out. Its a thrill I tell ya!

Thanks for the tip Now how can we get the floors done?

Kelli said...

Hello Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean! I love getting stains out of laundry, too. Something really satisfying about it.

To Karlee^^^:

Put some WD40 on the grease spots, wait 10 minutes, then spot wash the WD40 out with dish detergent. Wash the clothes as hot as you dare, and it should take out the grease! I do this all the time and it even takes out automotive grease.

Elieson Family said...

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like it SMELLS great too...

Christy said...

I think of you every time I iron.

Katie said...

You are awesome!! Can't wait to try it..and with 3 kids, the time will come sooner than later!
Also, could you email me: kbug428 at yahoo dot com and give me your sister's email address? I have a question for her!

Kathryn Poduska said...

Marcus! Its so good to be able to keep tabs on your family now! I hope our families can get together at some point. Its been a long time and cousins have to stick together! P.S. Your kids are adorable.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Just thought you should know I went through your archives until I found this today. Yes I did. I remembered you posting it way back when and REALLY needed it. So glad I found it!