Sunday, August 23, 2009

we're kind of a mess around here...

Marcus wins the award for being the biggest mess in our family right now. Last Saturday night Marcus and his friend Ben went four-wheeling on the ranch and Marcus and a four-wheeler and a tree got into a fight and the tree won. Marcus and the four-wheeler? Not so much. He broke his tibia (shin) and has been laid up in bed ever since. Lucky for him the swelling was so bad he had to travel home on the airplane without a real cast, just a splint. You should ask him how much fun that was (not.fun.at.all). The kids and I came home a week early with him to help him out and he got casted as soon as we got home. I think he thought the real cast would solve all the pain issues and he would go on his merry way. Wrong. Pain meds and crutches are still his best friends and will be for some time. And he had to have his cast cut down both sides and wrapped in an ace bandage to alleviate swelling. He's definitely hurting the most.

And then as soon as we got home I got a major cold which I think has turned into bronchitis (self-diagnosed, of course) and I haven't been able to hear out of either ear for almost a week. They clogged up because of all the congestion in my head when we were driving down the mountain to head to the airport and then between that and the airplane they are still clogged so everything sounds to me like I'm hearing things through water. So if I haven't returned phone calls, that's why. Sorry.

Marc has a cold too. And is coming off an ear infection. And has broken out in hives two days in a row and I suspect it's a food allergy. Boo. Poor thing. 

And Abby is cutting four teeth at once. Poor little girl.

So we're just a house of sickies right now. And when our new church congregation got wind of it all today they came to the rescue. Our Relief Society president brought dinner and offered a wheelchair for Marcus to use. Her counselor, my dear friend Michelle, brought over brownies, gave Marcus advice on his broken leg (she's a doctor), cleaned up my entire kitchen with two-day-old dishes and took out my trash. Unbelievable. And another girl from our congregation called to see if she could watch my kids while I go to the doctor tomorrow to see what's wrong. I cannot believe how kind and thoughtful everyone has been! And now I'm just hoping the next week proves to be a lot less eventful than the past week has been.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Man, you really got hit! I say get thee to an ENT to see if they can flush out your sinus cavity and help with the ear thing. Do decongestants help at all?

Meredith said...

Tell marcus to suck it up! :) I miss you guys a ton already.

Unknown said...

I can't help but wonder the counselor's legal opinion re: "If trees have standing" now? He was such a tree hugger before the accident.... :)

Hope you guys all feel better soon! Let us know what we can do to help. Love you guys!

Abby said...

wow when it rains it pours! hope everything turns around soon and you guys get better. i heard about marcus's leg, but not the rest of the family's sickness. isn't it great to have the RS & church to help out in times like this! love it!

The DeGiulio's said...

Holy moly girl, sounds crazy around your house. Thats too bad about Marcus leg, how much longer will he have to bed down on it? I've only had bronchitis once and it was horrible, I hope you get feeling better.

Nielson said...

That sounds horrible! I am so sorry that you can't even take care of each other! (Plus I'm a little bummed that we didn't meet up--but next time?) :) I hope you all recover soon and I am so glad to hear that you live in such a thoughtful ward.

The Yosts said...

When it rains, it pours! Hopefully everyone will get better quickly!

Rebekah said...

So, so sorry for all of you! I wish I could be there to help out with the kids, with taking care of my big brother, and to make you some chicken soup to help you recover soon. If they'd let me on the plane at this point in my "delicate" condition, I'd be on the first plane out there. Miss you tons and I sure hope you all get better soon!

merathon said...

oh yuck! such bad timing for everyone to be sick. a couple weeks ago, i came down with pneumonia and was all on my own to take care of the kids because patrick was on a 9 day fishing trip with his dad! so i definitely know about bad timing! hope everyone's doing better soon.

Elieson Family said...

Oh no! When it rains, it pours! What an awful spot you all are in. I'm so so so sorry.
Man, thank goodness for an on the ball relief society. Seriously. Use their help as much as you can! Wish I was there to take the kids for you, and cook a totally lame meal, and make your house dirtier by my attempt at housekeeping. But hey, I'll put in a good word for you with the big man. Good luck!

Auntie Lolo said...

What a great ward you have! So glad someone is taking care of you guys. And that you are letting them? SO proud of you. :)

Alli M. said...

Coming home from vacation is already a total let down...add a broken leg and a bunch of sickness. No fun! You guys are troopers. Good luck, hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

Molly said...

Oh goodness! I hope you all recover soon! I've been learning about accepting help, myself...it's not as bad as I once thought. Praying for you!

NichBlog said...

Myyyyyyy Goodness! I'm so sorry to hear all that! I need a support group like that though! That is so nice!

Tamara said...

I'll try not to be offended that you refused my attempts to help and just be happy for you that you got the help you needed. Feel better and seriously call when you are ready for me to come over!

Alyssa said...

wow, I hope you all get back to 100% or even 85% soon!